Greetings Traveler! In order to customize your particular Mobius to your head size and other personal preferences, we have created a specialized control portal application called Audeze HQ. If you wish to install the app, you may follow the steps below for your specific OS.
To Install HQ for Windows or MacOSX:
- From a Mac or Windows PC, please download and unzip the appropriate file from the Audeze HQ page.
- Install the app depending on your machine: For Mac, double click the installer file; for Windows, right click the exe file and choose "Run as Administrator." (If you don’t see the installer in your downloads folder, you can search for “Audeze” on your machine’s hard drives.) Note for Windows users: You may get a warning message that this software is not from a recognized developer. If this happens, please click "More info" at the top, and then "Install anyway" near the bottom to continue with the installation.
- The installer will prompt you to choose a location and folder name to install upon your machine. You’re welcome to use the folder/name suggested by the installer, or create your own, such as “the_most_awesome_headphone_in_the_known_universe.”
- Once installed, your machine may ask you if you want to run the application. We suggest choosing “yes.” If you choose “no,” you may find it residing in the folder you chose, or search your machine again for “Audeze.”
Congratulations, you have successfully installed the HQ app to control your Mobius!
Here are some screenshots from Windows of the installation process (it's similar in MacOSX, but even more streamlined):
Assuming you have now launched the app, we invite you to connect your Mobius via USB cable to the host computer, and power Mobius ON by depressing the Power Button for 2 seconds. (If you have already done that, we congratulate you further on being two steps ahead of the class.) When this goal has been met, you will immediately observe the on-screen virtual head moving in tandem with the movements of Mobius, and the data boxes for PITCH, YAW and ROLL displaying appropriate data. Isn’t this a wonderful example of technology in action?
You will then notice some tabs at the top of the app:
- HRTF PERSONALIZATION is the most immediately useful. From this tab you can control the settings for the following adjustments:
- Head Circumference, being the measurement around your head. If you don’t already know this very cerebral measurement, you can discover it by wrapping a measuring tape all the way around your head, over the tops of your ears and just above your eyebrows. Place the 0 end of the measuring tape above the bridge of your nose, then wrap the tape around your head and pinch the tape where it contacts the 0 end again. You may then move the app’s slider until the corresponding number appears in the box. We have adopted the “very retro” Imperial Measurement system, which means you’ll need to measure your head in inches.
- Inter-aural Arc is the semi-circumference from one ear canal to the other, as measured around the back of your head. To measure this distance, place the 0 end of the measuring tape at one ear canal, then wrap the tape around the backside of your head and pinch the tape where it contacts your other ear canal. You may then move the slider until the appropriate number appears in the box (again, in inches).
- Room Ambience describes the amount of reverberation in the “virtual room” that exists in Mobius’ universe. You may move the slider left and right to decrease or increase the amount of ambience. A value of 0 creates the least amount of reverberant sound, while 100 creates the most. Have fun with that!
Important: In order to activate the changes you’ve made when moving these three sliders, you’ll need to click the APPLY button and acknowledge the warning that appears. This is for your safety, as entering incorrect values can cause dizziness, nausea and time travel in certain individuals and certain galaxies.
For instructions on using the Head Gestures at the bottom of this pane, please see this article.
- SOUND PROFILES, which correspond to the EQ Presets explained in this article. When you choose a preset from the list, it becomes the default preset that your Mobius will carry between connection types. You can still change the presets “on the fly” as described in the article referenced above.
All of the above settings are stored automatically in your Mobius as soon as you make (and apply) a change. Therefore, once you change any or all of the settings, those settings travel with your Mobius to any corner of the universe and will affect its performance accordingly. Pretty cool, yes?
- DEVICE INFO displays an infographic pictogram of the Mobius and its control layout and offers some helpful hints. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility!
- FIRMWARE will show you the current firmware version installed on your Mobius. If you're running a Windows machine, you'll also see the Update FW button pictured. (Sorry Mac users, the OSX ecosystem doesn't allow us to update Mobius firmware, but if those tools become available we'll definitely implement it!) See this article for instructions on how to update FW from a Windows machine.
You'll also notice a few controls and indicators on the right of the HQ window. From the top, they are:
- 3D Mode: this is a button you can click to cycle through the available modes.
- Center Calibrate: this is a button you can click to re-center the audio in 3D Manual or Auto modes.
- Channel Mode: this button will appear only when MCU FW is 1.71 or above, and allows you to choose between 7.1 channel, 2 channel stereo, or hi-res stereo modes without using the control on the headphones themselves. You can read more about these modes here.
- The indicators toward the bottom are there to tell you the status of the corresponding entry. In order, they are: power status, battery level, mic volume level, and connection status.
One other helpful item to note about the HQ app: You’ll notice a question mark inside a circle in the upper right corner of the app window. This is a hyperlink to our handy body of support articles on the multitudes of Mobius operation in our Help Center. We do hope you find these articles illuminating!
If you have any additional questions regarding your Mobius, please peruse the other support articles located in our Help Center. If you cannot find the answer you seek there, please feel free to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.